Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Room With A View

Window seats are desirable things. When we travel we want a window seat on the airplane - to watch the world go by at 30,000 feet. In the winter, we get cabin fever, and will hopefully sit and glance out the window, watching for the first sign of spring. When we ask for a table at a restaurant, we always want a window seat, if one is available. Even our beloved pets seek out the window view.Window seats are sentimental, charming, and romantic. They conjure up thoughts of Jane Eyre as a child, sneaking a few precious moments to herself behind a red curtained haven she created for herself, or of the Lady of Shalott in her tower, wishfully glancing out the window through her mirror.

Whether it's a window with a built in seat, or just a chair by a window, I hope you enjoy your view.



"I mounted into the window-seat: gathering up my feet, I sat cross-legged, like a Turk; and, having drawn the red moreen curtain nearly close, I was shrined in double retirement.

Folds of scarlet drapery shut in my view to the right hand; to the left were the clear panes of glass, protecting, but not separating me from the dreary November day. At intervals, while turning over the leaves of my book, I studied the aspect of that winter afternoon. Afar, it offered a pale blank of mist and cloud; near a scene of wet lawn and storm-beat shrub, with ceaseless rain sweeping away wildly before a long and lamentable blast."

~Jane Eyre - Chapter 1

No comments:

Post a Comment