Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Those Were the Days

Taking a look back to the good old days of period films - days when watching a 6 hour mini-series could be somewhere other than PBS.
The first time I saw the Firth-Ehle version of P&P, was as it aired on A&E for the first time in the U.S. I taped it onto a VHS tape, and saved it for years, before finally buying a DVD player, (and new DVD copy of Pride and Prejudice), JUST for this movie and all the extras on it.
Thank goodness for PBS, without them I'd never turn the tv on! I remember the days when mini-series like, "The Thorn Birds," and the other "North & South," aired in parts for weeks and weeks on broadcast television. Those were the days.

2 comments:

  1. I think 'those were the days' could be the title of every single one of my posts! haha

    I at first hated the new version of P&P with Keira Knightley but its now grown on me. I really like watching the advancement of period films, since technology is getting better and better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :0) me too!

    The Keira-McFadden version is not a favorite for me either, although it is enjoyable to watch occasionally.

    I have to admit, I am really enjoying this wave of recent period films, (Bright Star, Young Victoria, Alice in Wonderland, etc), and agree that period pieces are getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete