Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Everything Told of the Sea

"Having come so fresh to the sea, I have got but little salted."
"As I looked over the water, I saw the isles rapidly wasting away , the sea nibbling voraciously at the continent."
"Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance its permanent qualities were enhanced by the weather."
"Everything told of the sea...sometimes the rib of a whale was woven into the fence by the roadside."
 "The owner of these trees invariably used the personal pronoun in speaking of them ; as, "I got him out of the woods, but he doesn't bear."
"Such spots can be beautiful only to the returning native, not to him who has just come out of the woods."

But he did find it beautiful, after all.
This was never intended to be the summer of Thoreau, but you move with the tides, so to speak. I just bought this old copy of his book, "Cape Cod," after discovering a paperback version of it which I am currently reading. I am only on page 42, and already have several favorite quotes. What "Walden," is to woods, "Cape Cod," is to the sea. You can read it online here.

"We do not associate the idea of antiquity with the ocean, nor wonder how it looked a thousand years ago, as we do of the land, for it was equally wild and unfathomable always."
"On the whole, we were glad of the storm, which would show us the ocean in its angriest mood."