Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Art Room

Recently the UK's Guardian posted the top ten art works for Great Britain. You can see their choices here. In response, these would be my own choices of favorite art work.

#1 JOHN WILLIAM WATERHOUSE
My absolute favorite painting is Waterhouse's Ophelia. She will always be my favorite (as is pretty much anything by Waterhouse did), ...so he gets number one all to himself as a general nod to his work. Shown here: Ophelia, La Belle Dame Sans Merci, Lady Claire, The Flower Picker, and The Lady of Shalott.


#2 ARTHUR RACKHAM
I also love Arthur Rackham dearly (who was a children's book illustrator). Here are three of my Rackham favorites because I cannot just choose one: Undine in the Wind, Undancy, and Blowing Leaves.

#3 CLAUDE MONET
The "Poet of Nature" artist, Claude Monet had to be on my list somewhere. I used to have a print copy of "Woman With A Parasol" hanging in my room for a long time. I love his haystacks, love his water lilies, love his trees. You could stare at his art forever and not get bored for a second.


 #4 LADY OF SHALOTT, IRIS COMPIET
This is Iris Compiet's version of Shalott, which I love. It has been on my sidebar for forever, standing the test of time. I love Shalott the poem so much, and am so inspired by the many artistic renditions that have been created and based on Tennyson's gorgeous poem.


#5 THE STORY OF A MOTHER, KAY NIELSEN
I first saw this on the Silver Swan blog and was instantly smitten with it. Here is the story behind this art work that I find fascinating on many levels. It is sure to mean different things to different people, which is the mark of good art, I think.


#6 THE BEGUILING OF MERLIN, EDWARD BURNE JONES
This is my favorite Burne Jones. Another Pre-Raphaelite Artist. Really, I could have all of the Pre-Raphaelites fill my favorite ten because there are so many of them I love.


#7 HIDE AND SEEK, BEV DOOLITTLE
Bev Doolittle paints these beautiful hidden art gems, many that focus on horses, ... painted horses to be exact. Painted horses have always been beautiful to me so I especially love her Hide and Seek. She has another one of horses and rider hidden in the aspen trees that I love as well.


#8 CAROL GRIGG
Carol Grigg is another modern artist whose general works I admire. Shown here are "Learning the Song" and "Great Plains Warrior." So unique and original. There is something about the rider on the horse and his complete freedom that is compelling. And the bird one is probably obvious, if you've read my blog before, you know I love nature and the freedom that the birds have in flying. So these are beautiful to me.

#9 CARL LARSSON
The name of this piece is one I could not find online, but it is by Carl Larsson. It has hidden pictures inside the painting as the "Red Riding Hood figure" makes her way to Grandma's house. Look closely and you'll see more than meets the eye. I think I love it because the girl is walking in the woods. I've written about these (Red Riding Hood) themes before, so I guess this one just stays with me, speaks to me as the girl who loves to walk in the trees.


#10 EMERALD DREAMS BY MORGAN WEISTLING
Another modern artist, I believe, but in the old-fashioned style that I love. Captures my love of fall and it just reflects a perfect moment of reverie. Kind of like Ophelia, in her own way, (see number one), so... I really begin and end at the same place which makes me think I've gotten it right, full circle.

 This in no way is set in stone, but for this moment these are some of my very favorite pieces of art work, for a variety of reasons. I am sure I've left some out, but I am pretty happy with my choices here. I hope you enjoy them.

(I'd like to thank the rain and thunderstorm that rolled through this afternoon as I finished editing and finalizing my list here. I am not sure I could have finished this without it).